Saturday, August 16, 2008

Worry-Wart

(Updated - see below)

I am a champion worrier. I come by it honestly; my mother and her mother before her were worriers, too. (Right, Mom?)

My worries tonight are a little more than my typical neurotic anxiety about molehills, though.

CoasterGirl has been having pain in her hips. This started about a week and a half ago, with no known cause, such as a fall. It tends to bother her most in the morning and at night; up until the last few days, a dose of Children's Tylenol and some walking around would do the trick. The last few days, though, the pain has been worse and has lasted longer, and today it never went away at all.

We went to the pediatrician yesterday - she ordered x-rays and labs, so we spent a good portion of midday today at the local regional medical center having the tests done. (Note to self: must try to make CoasterGirl forget the blood-draw experience today so as not to cause trauma before future tests. The lab guy was friendly and nice, but had quite a bit of trouble finding a good vein. Poor CoasterGirl! He felt so bad that he gave her multiple stickers, character bandaids, toys and a sucker.)

A few of the possibilities are somewhat scary, so I'm trying not to worry until we get the test results back, hopefully on Monday. I'm hanging my hat on the statement by the pediatrician that even the scary options are treatable, so I should really try not to worry.

I'm not doing such a great job.

UPDATE: The pediatrician's office called Sunday evening - both tests came back fine, so at least we know it's not a fracture, a joint problem, or an infection. The bad news is we have no idea why her hips hurt!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Its difficult not to worry- you're the mommy- I think its in the job description. :) I'm praying for you guys- for good lad and x-ray results and just for peace as you wait for the results.

Anonymous said...

Poor you, poor coastergirl! I hope you figure out what's causing the pain soon. Hopefully it's just growing pains or muscle strain.

Sending good vibes for strength and health :)